I’m one of those people who gets super excited about really stupid things. To the point that I’m delusional enough to think that I MUST SHARE with everyone I know, and then some. Like, when I discovered I could make pancakes just by using my AWESOME vegan protein powder and a little egg white, I practically screamed it from the roof tops! Or when I started substituting date-paste (you’ll read about that below) for sugar in absolutely EVERYTHING, I thought I was so freakin’ clever! I would tell anyone who’d listen. Anyway, agree or not, I think my little “go-to things” are pretty dam HOT (if I do say so myself). So here comes the sharing! Buckle up!
(CONTINUE READING HERE)
Starting with what I already mentioned!
* Protein Powder Pancakes! This is when being vegan”ish” comes in handy because nothing makes these as great as using egg whites. And with the added protein and negligible calories, this REALLY fits the bill when I’m in the mood for a carby breakfast! Just a scoop of your favorite protein powder mixed with one organic egg white (or a few tablespoons of organic egg whites from a carton) and you are golden! ‘Fry’ them up with organic cooking spray like you would ANY pancake, and YUMMMMMM! If you’d prefer to skip the eggs, use egg replacer or flax seed meal mixed with a little water (enough to make it a pasty consistency). Egg replacer is a little tricky when trying to get that pancakey texture going, but with a little patience and trial and error, you can come pretty close.
If your protein powder isn’t sweet enough, I have two suggestions! Either add a few sweet drops (a little goes a LONG way!), OR make a date-paste.
* Date Paste – This is a GREAT fil-in for sugar! and with the fiber and a lower glycemic number, you aren’t spiking your blood sugar or telling your body to store fat. Win-win. Just soak some dates in water for a few hours, just enough water to come to the top. (I use medjool dates.) Then take the pits out and blend with the soaking water. You can store in your fridge for several days too, which is nice. I add this to anything! I mix into oatmeal, I use it to sweeten up my chick-pea cookies, you can add to plain, non-fat greek yogurt – lotsa options for sweetening! Even add to smoothies!
* Scale from Sur La Table! – For just $20, I love this scale! I think it’s so dangerous to think a serving size is way larger than it actually is! Why not find out once and for all? A few ounces over a suggested serving size can cost you several hundred calories, not to mention fat! Think about nuts. Ever weigh out an ounce? Once you weigh it out, you will easily be able eye-ball serving sizes.
* Flavor God Seasonings! – OMG! I don’t even know where to begin here! If you had any idea how much MSG you consumed in a day UNKNOWINGLY, you’d freak! Want to be totally shocked? Read this to see where MSG lurks! Lipton’s onion soup mix, bouillon cubes, anything that lists yeast extract, among a gazillion other sneaky words that mean MSG…. However, the Flavor God seasonings are free of MSG, low sodium and fit into a vegan or paleo diet. OH, and most importantly – THEY ARE SOOOOO DELICIOUS! Every flavor is awesome! I use the seasonings to sauté veggies, I use instead of bouillon cubes in my soups, I sprinkle on salads… you name it! Delicious and safe!
* Eat Me Guilt Free – Weird name, I know. These yumilicious brownie and blondie mixes are awesome. Best part? They’re high in protein, low in carbs and pretty low in fat. There are also many recipes you can make using the mixes, which is pretty cool. YOU MUST TRY THESE!! Eat Me Guilt Free, despite the weird name, really is a great option to pig out a bit and not feel icky.
A few more that I’ll be quick with because this is getting long and I’m not looking to be a snooz-inducer – but I must mention:
* Boabab. It’s the new kale! Sometimes I just put it in water, shake and drink! Why? Here’s a cut and paste from The Telegraph:
“…. offers six times more vitamin C than oranges, more potassium than bananas, more antioxidants than blueberries and more than twice the calcium level of milk. It is also high in iron and magnesium, is stuffed with fibre and, as if that wasn’t enough, has prebiotic qualities that can stimulate your gut’s “good bacteria”.”
So as far as I’m concerned, I need this in my diet! Nothing to lose, LOTS to gain – and what vegan wouldn’t want more calcium in their diet? Once again, it’s a win-win. 😆 Boabab, I think, can only be purchased online, but I may be wrong. THIS IS what I get.
The last few things….. Silicon liners (also called Silpats), are amazing because they’re reusable (better for the environment), they’re awesome when making sticky stuff and for some reason, EVERYTHING turns out perfect with them!
More cool things? What’s better than Nike running shorts? I LOVE working out in these! Besides for the fact that they come in the coolest colors and patterns, they are just SO DAM COMFY! Love the built in mesh briefs too. Another thing I LOVE, speaking of running! OMG – you MUST download Matchbox 20’s “How Far We’ve Come” and Sheppard’s “Geronimo” for the most inspiring running songs EVER! Oh, and the coolest work out clothes? You need to check out Carbon38! CUTEST STUFF!!
And my LAST little tidbit …. (You see how excited I get? Is my weird excitement/enthusiasm coming thru here?) ALWAYS have a cauliflower pizza crust on hand! It’s a must! I have three in my fridge or freezer at all times. In fact, my daughter has upped the anti by making cauliflower/broccoli/onion pizza crusts! She is SMOKIN’ me in the kitchen – and I cannot be more proud!! 😯
So that’s it. All the stuff that I am CONVINCED are just the coolest little inside-scoop nuggets! Do with them what you may. My job here is done! 😉 Have a great week!